Tuesday, April 5, 2011

4" Taller

They're lined up in my closet, toes pointed outward ready for their adventure. Color coordinated and by season so that I can easily find the one I'm looking for. They've been good to me and I try to return the favor.

I've been attending a lot of parties and events lately and I've relied on my shoes to make the statement for me. It's kind of amazing what a good pair of pumps can do to

a woman's confidence.

I think I came to this realization at a young age, when I used to sneak into my mother's closet and try on all of hers. My eyes would scan over the lined up shoes and the ones I remember most were a pair of black rocker ankle boots she had. I would walk the length of her carpeted room and pretend it was the runway. Then before I was noticed missing, try my hardest to put them all away in the exact place I found them.

I have 3 girls and recently my "firecracker" found the glory that is inside my closet doors. Red leather, tan suede, black satin, silver jeweled...the colors are amazing to a 3yr old. She decided that it was time to try them ALL on. I must say, I cringed. I don't want to say no but inside I'm screaming, "Please don't scuff them! Be careful of the heel! Don't pull them off like that!" But I remember my own mother, who must have known my secret visit to her closet and I'm sure she wanted to say the same thing but knew that this was a part of girlhood. That this was the beginning stages of beauty and confidence. So, instead I tell my girl she looks beautiful. That the shoes are gorgeous but she's prettier.

My shoes are currently in a pile on the bedroom floor. Not because I want them there or that I'm too lazy to put them away. (Ok, maybe I am.) But because my little girl will be there again tomorrow learning the art of how to wear heels. Looking in the mirror and telling herself she looks pretty. And while I love seeing them lined up, looking pretty on my closet shelf, I also like knowing that they're helping a little girl.

2 comments:

  1. Sniffle, sniffle-this is beautiful-like you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my! i love this one...what an amazing mom you are! i want to be just like you when i grow up...

    ReplyDelete