Monday, March 8, 2010

Empty Bed

It's another night in the midst of many

that I go to bed alone.

It's something I've gotten used to being married to screenwriter. His best ideas and inspirations come at weird hours. When we first were married, his desk was in the bedroom. Horrible idea. Don't ever do it. (Put the office in the living/dining room if you have a 1bed apartment. Save the bedroom for what it was intended for. ;) What should have been a dark, peaceful room, my hybernating cave for 8hrs., instead was filled with the glare of the computer screen and the clickety-clack of 70wpm.

But it's different now. Then I wasn't alone. At least he was still in the bedroom.

Now, he has an office off our garage. Thank God above because I thought I was going to go crazy with all the paper piles in the bedroom. But this means that the house feels lonely without him. The bed is always cold. His warm body never near to help ease the chill of So Cal winters. (I know...it's not that bad. But my blood has thinned from the New England winters I grew up with.) I snuggle up with a pillow until he arrives at some hour of the night that I haven't been able to stay up 'til since I was 17.

However, there are some advantages that I think should be mentioned. I get a whole queen size bed to myself! I can stretch out as much as I'd like without having to be polite about the line down the middle of the bed. I can go to sleep the way I want to, which means not a smidgen of light can seen from any crevice or window. The down blanket is all mine including all four pillows that lay on our bed and the light can stay on for as long or as little as I like without feeling guilty.

At the same time, I do feel saddened. My husband works so hard to provide for us. He writes, has meetings, connects during the day and does more of the same at night. Burning the candle on both ends. The town is tough and it takes a lot of determination and passion to see it through till the end. Not many make it.

But I'm thankful that we have been able to live off of his writing for 5 years, with two kids! Even if it means the bed is sometimes empty when I reach it.

I'm drifting off to La-La Land. Goodnight.

6 comments:

  1. Go Katie! I'm laughing because my husband is in bed alone right now, and I'm up at 1:41am doing exactly what your husband is doing a few miles across town. :) I concur with your excellent advice about preserving the sanctity of the bedroom at all costs. Thanks for the reminder - unintended though it may be - to step away from the computer and join him, at least tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice writing Kate! I too have struggled with some of these same issues. Still do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katheryne,

    My name is Maria and I worked with your husband years ago on a short film called POP STAR (I played the nurse). I met you and your older daughter, who was just a baby at the time, briefly at your home in Glendale when we were working on the film.

    Your hubby is a Facebook friend of mine, and I saw his post about your blog. Although I work in the business myself, since getting married two years ago, I have worked less and focused more on domestic life, and find myself being a Hollywood wife as well. My husband is a singer/songwriter and a composer for film, tv, and movie trailers.

    I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciated your blog posts. I can definitely relate to a lot of your experiences in this nutty business. I certainly know about the "Empty Bed," as the nature of my sweet husband's work means some crazy hours as well. It's comforting to know there are other women out there who understand that when their bed is empty, it's not because their man doesn't want to be there, but rather that he's out there trying to make the magic happen, slay those dragons, and it's all for US. And that can't always happen just between the hours of 9 and 5.

    Keep up the good work! And best wishes to all of you. May 2010 be an amazing year for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maria,

    So nice to meet you again! Thank you for your encouraging words.
    I wanted to let you know that I'm also going to be putting on an event in July for wives in Hollywood. I'll find you on facebook and make sure that you're invited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Yes, please keep me posted. I'd love to come! By the way, do you go by Kate? Katie? Katheryne?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Maria: Usually Katie. I guess it depends on how well a person knows me. ;)

    ReplyDelete