Sunday, March 28, 2010

Coach Katie

Everyone needs a cheerleader. To raise the pompoms, smile, and cheer us on. To be excited for the really small and/or really big things in life. But sometimes we need a coach too. Someone to hold us by the shoulders, look straight into our eyes and speak words of affirmation, encouragement and belief into us.

This week my husband needed a coach. Someone to tell him to get out there, forget the odds, the past, and move on. It's not something I do often because I find my husband needs more
understanding than a pep talk. And honestly, I need more empathy. But this week was unlike others and required a stronger presence.

However, in the past, this conversation was strange and confusing. I sometimes wanted to throw in the towel too. I didn't always want to be here. Going from writing job to writing job. Living in a very populated city with a kid. Trying to beat the odds.

But somewhere deep down in the belly, this gusto of belief, success, and the hope and faith I talked of earlier came out of me. It suprised me and as the words left my mouth, I began to believe the very things I was saying.

I'm grateful that over the years I've had time for the belief to build up and created a sort of resevoir for future times I might need to put on the coach hat.

Because there are times for silence, understanding and prayer but also times for words. And those words need to come from somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment